The art director will work with the editor in chief to shape the direction of the magazine’s look, ensuring that it is in synch with the editorial vision and reflects the taste and style of the readership. The ideal candidate will have a passion for good design, a thorough knowledge of which publications are breaking new ground with their art direction, and a desire to best one’s own work with each new issue. This person should have a proven track record of creating covers that drive newsstand sales. A keen eye for photography, exceptional typography skills, and the ability to create images using infographics or typography are all musts.
You should be a gentle, inspiring leader (think: Mary Poppins), who can scrutinize the work of other designers and articulate what is needed to bring the layouts to the next level. A collaborative spirit is imperative.
Experience: Five years of experience designing or art directing for a national or regional consumer magazine or B2B publication preferred. Minimum two years of experience hiring, managing, and mentoring designers; managing a budget; and producing photo shoots including portraits, food, fashion and still photos.
- Design and layout monthly issues of 100-plus page publication
- Work collaboratively with editors in development of stories from idea phase to production
- Supervise the senior designer, graphic designer and staff photographer
- Manage part-time photo, design and video interns
- Cultivate and expand the magazine’s network of freelance photographers, illustrators and artists
- Manage workflow and monthly deadlines
- Prepare photos and design files for printer
- Assign projects to contributing artists and direct photo shoots as needed
- Manage custom publications in tandem with regular issues
- Manage monthly budget
- Oversee overall look of Milwaukee Magazine brand across platforms