|Title||Marketing & Events Interns
The Westown Association is a downtown Milwaukee non-profit involved in economic revitalization and promotion of the area west of the Milwaukee River. The staff works with a board of directors, committee members, city officials and volunteers to coordinate promotional events, programs and the administration of Business Improvement District #5.
Love downtown Milwaukee? Enjoy event planning? Interested in public relations & marketing? The Westown Association is seeking two unpaid Marketing & Events Interns for the summer of 2017 (mid-May - August, 2017).
The Westown Association is seeking two unpaid Marketing & Events Interns for the summer of 2017 (mid-May - August, 2017). Though both interns will concentrate on the general marketing of the organization and miscellaneous events, one intern will concentrate on the planning and execution of the Westown Farmers' Market and the other will concentrate on the planning and execution of River Rhythms. Great internship for students with an interest in event-planning and majoring in public relations, marketing or any communications-related field! We strongly encourage the intern to receive school credit for the internship as we will work to help meet credit requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
EVENT COORDINATION -
Farmers' Market (Every Wednesday, beginning June 7th- 7am-3pm)
- Assist staff with the organization, planning and execution of the Westown Farmers' Market every Wednesday from 7am until 3pm in Zeidler Union Square in downtown Milwaukee.
- Help in writing weekly press releases and weekly e-newsletters, event promotion, vendor recruitment and preparation for special event days.
- On site: assist with set-up and take-down, vendor traffic and coordination, customer assistance and social media updates.
River Rhythms (Every Wednesday, June 14th-August 30th 3:30pm-9:30pm)
- Assist staff with the organization, planning and execution of River Rhythms, a downtown Milwaukee concert series at Pere Marquette Park.
- Help in writing weekly press releases and weekly e-mail newsletters, emcee script, scheduling volunteers and promotions.
- On-site: assist with set-up and take-down, beverage sales, inventory, social media updates and trouble-shooting.
Events other than the Farmers' Market and River Rhythms may arise in which both interns would be involved.
- Write articles for our monthly e-newsletters and event e-mail blasts
- Assist with social media- Facebook & Twitter
- Perform updates to www.westown.org and www.parkmilwaukee.com
- Assist with media list updates
- Assist in writing press releases
- Can assist in graphic design work if able
- Attend monthly Marketing committee meeting
OFFICE MANAGEMENT -
- Maintain databases, mailing lists and vital records
- Create and update Westown Intern manual
Help with general office functions including answering phones, greeting guests, office maintenance, mass mailings, meeting preparation and other projects as assigned
- Sophomore, Junior or Senior college standing and enrolled in a college or university pursuing a degree in Public Relations, Marketing, Communications or related field
- Familiarity with Downtown Milwaukee is helpful
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Organized, detailed-oriented and capable of managing multiple tasks
- Experience in Microsoft Office programs
- Self-starter who is energetic and outgoing and learns quickly
- Graphic Design Experience a plus
- Ability to work under deadlines with creativity and a sense of humor
- Candidate should expect to work at event sites where there may be moderate physical activity
- Ability to work with a variety of professionals to keep projects on track
- Access to a car is preferred
- Prior office experience is preferred
- Experience with social media
Must be able to meet the following time requirements:
- Work within a consistent schedule during normal office hours (preferably 2-3 days per week)
- Be available every Wednesday during the course of the internship during the following hours depending on event: Westown Farmer’s Market - beginning June 7th, 7am-3pm OR River Rhythms 3:30pm-9:30pm
- Be able to start internship in mid-May, 2017 and continue until the end of August, 2017
- Flexible scheduling, 15 hours per week minimum (including the Farmer’s Market or River Rhythms depending on internship selected).
Friday availability preferred.
|Compensation & Benefits||
Though this internship is unpaid, it can be structured for school credit. Intern can expect to build their portfolio while having access to a network of downtown professionals. Parking is provided.