|Company||The Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau
|Title||Director of Marketing
The Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau (GMCVB) is dedicated to creating economic impact through tourism. The effects of their "invisible industry" benefit everyone living in Dane County in key areas including jobs, community services and quality of life. The latest economic impact data released by the Wisconsin Department of Tourism indicates the strength of the tourism industry—particularly in Dane County, where we experienced a 6.2% increase in tourism dollars spent compared to the prior year. This exceptional growth reflects the strategic and focused efforts the GMCVB devotes to our local economy.
What They Do:
- Attract new conventions, sporting events and competitions to the community
- Provide expert service and support to existing and repeat events
- Share comprehensive and easy-to-access information with visitors
- Conduct and analyze tourism research
- Build our local economy!
Why it Matters:
- Tourism may be an invisible industry, but in 2015, visitors contributed $1.98 billion dollars in total business spending, which supported more than 21,000 full-time equivalent jobs in Dane County. That's 11% of tourism-related jobs in the entire state!
- In the absence of the state and local taxes generated by tourism, each Dane County household would need to pay $700 to maintain the current level of government services.
- Tourism is often the first impression of our community for potential business investors and innovators who may become residents that, in turn, expand our intellectual capacity and growth. Our efforts help make an impactful impression of the greater Madison area.
The Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau has retained The QTI Group to conduct the search for its new Director of Marketing.The Director of Marketing will be responsible for directing the Bureau’s marketing efforts to position Madison and the environs as a convention, event and leisure destination and the GMCVB as the area’s official Destination Manager and Leader. The Director of Marketing will develop and direct the annual marketing plan, including marketing strategies for the organization, partnership, fund development, convention, and leisure travel. The marketing plan will be designed to support achievement of GMCVB, and Spirit of Greater Madison and internal and external room night and facility space sales and revenue goals. The Director of Marketing will provide oversight and supervision of the Madison Area Sports Commission marketing initiatives.
- Develop objectives and research-based strategies for marketing the Madison area as a convention and event destination to state, regional and national meeting and event planners and ‘Bring Your Meeting Home’ locals
- Develop strategic marketing plan and execute marketing initiatives, including promotional campaigns, advertising, and other special projects designed to generate convention & event attendee room nights sold in the Madison area
- Collaborate with Director of PR/Communications to plan, concept, execute and measure development of original content in support of Content Strategy
- Provide strategic input to and oversight of leisure marketing initiatives.
- Identify and cultivate collaborative relationships in marketing and advertising, with industry partners and funding sources
- Direct the development and production of convention, leisure, sports and organizational marketing/communications materials
- Support the development of other organization communication vehicles including but not limited to the Official Madison Area Visitors Guide, economic impact report, and Visitor Map
- Direct development, continued innovation and content maintenance of the GMCVB website
- maintains accurate statistics and data on ROI of marketing programs and efforts, for regular reporting and analysis of marketing plan and associated activities and programs
Meeting and Convention Sales
- Analyze customer data, competitive set and industry research to develop target market profiles, identify opportunities to engage specific markets and identify obstacles
- Create and execute effective marketing strategies based on research that meet or exceed business goals for convention sales and room nights
- Plan and execute all convention sales marketing programs (i.e. collateral materials, advertising, e-newsletters, and PowerPoint presentations), analyze results to develop future programs
- Analyze competitive set and convention service outcomes to identify obstacles and opportunities to serve meeting planners and meeting and convention attendees
- Plan and execute all convention services marketing initiatives, (i.e. collateral materials, trade show banners/signage, pre-promotional videos/presentations, gift and logoed merchandise), analyze results to inform future program development
Partnership & Fund Development
- Analyze peer organization partnership marketing materials, marketing opportunities and key partnership benefits. Identify opportunities for GMCVB
- Create and execute marketing strategies to address the obstacles in reaching development goals and execute all marketing initiatives in support of fund development for GMCVB, Spirit of Madison (collateral materials, e-newsletters, e-mail marketing programs, etc.)
- Manage and direct relationships with web, e-newsletter, app, online booking engine and digital visitor guide vendors
- Oversee relationship with digital advertising vendor
- Develop and enhance web and new media programs
- Oversee creation and execution of organizational events, including but not limited to Annual Event, Meet & Greet events
- Concept and execute annual National Travel & Tourism Week campaign
Knowledge and Education Required:
- In-depth knowledge of marketing foundations and principles
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, or related field
- Proven, recent experience (min. 5-7 yrs.) in marketing leadership positions
- Extensive knowledge of all aspects of advertising, graphics/print/print production, digital marketing
- Experience in a membership-based organization and or experience with co-branding preferred
- Experience and knowledge of web site development and management Knowledge and understanding of the hospitality community, tourist attractions and business in Madison, Dane County and the region preferred
- Knowledge of grant/funding resource and opportunities preferred
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Proficient in ability to analyze and interpret market research
- Proficient skills in marketing, market development, market research, analysis, planning and promotions/advertising
- Proficient copy writing, copy editing and proofreading skills required. Grant writing a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite Familiarity with ACE project and CRM software a plus
- Ability to assess marketing opportunities and develop strategic plans to reach targeted audiences
- Ability to organize, plan and prioritize workload involving multiple projects at one time
- Lead, motivate, train, direct and supervise department personnel Perform periodic and annual reviews of all department personnel
- Pursue pertinent professional development opportunities within the GMCVB budget
- Build annual department goals as well as individual performance plans and goals for department personnel
- Establish priorities for GMCVB marketing budget and body of work based on organizational priorities and goals and are effective expenditures of resources
- Develop and manage the Marketing Department personnel and budget (includes all aspects of organization and destination marketing)
|Compensation & Benefits||